Former Army Chief VK Singh said that the country’s defense forces have the capability to take back PoK
The Union Minister said that when the terrorist attack took place in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, he was posted in the Eastern Command in Kolkata
Mumbai. Union Minister General (Retd) VK Singh has given a big statement on Friday regarding India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. He said that the Jawaharlal Nehru government did not acquire Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in the 1948 war to please Lord Mountbatten. Speaking at an event a day before the anniversary of the Mumbai terror attack, Singh also claimed that some of the phone numbers used by the plotters of the attack had already been given to the IB and that India could have responded better to the attack. .
Former Army Chief Singh said that the country’s defense forces have the capability to take back PoK and they can do this as soon as orders are received. He claimed, ‘We could have achieved PoK in 1948 itself, but the government of that time said, not now, our Mountbatten will be displeased, and stopped.’ Lord Mountbatten was the Governor General of independent India at that time. Singh said, ‘If we get a chance today, our forces are ready. From a military point of view, there is no need to discuss or emphasize on this. I think, whatever you want to do, keep it in your mind and whenever you get orders, do it. There is no need to discuss it.
India took the initiative to negotiate
On the 14th anniversary of the Mumbai terror attack, a program called ’26/11 Mumbai Sankalp’ was organized by the right-wing magazine Panchjanya. Singh said that in the past, when India took the initiative for talks, Pakistan felt that it was scared because of terrorism. He said the common people of Pakistan, its government and its armed forces speak in different voices and “this is a change we are seeing”.
IB had information
Union Minister Singh said that when the terrorist attack took place in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, he was posted in the Eastern Command in Kolkata. He said, ‘While posting in Kolkata, we got the news that a person, known to us, had come to Kolkata to buy some SIM cards. We made inquiries and gave information about those 10-12 numbers to the Intelligence Bureau (IB)…”
4 numbers used in 26/11 terror attack
He said, ‘You will be surprised to know that four of those numbers were used during the 26/11 terror attack. If you had got 10-12 numbers and someone told you that they could be misused, if you had kept track of those numbers, then I think, you could have caught them because those mobile numbers were active. This means that there were some shortcomings (in using the available intelligence).
FIRST PUBLISHED : November 25, 2022, 22:10 IST